Carl Schurz Park, a 14.9-acre public park located in the Yorkville neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is a site rich in history and natural beauty. Named after Carl Schurz, a German-born American statesman, the park was established in 1910 and includes Gracie Mansion, the official residence of the Mayor of New York since 1942.
Not only is it a location full of incredible New York history, but it’s also a stellar location for engagement photography.
Key Features and Attractions of Carl Schurz Park
- John Finley Walk: This waterfront promenade along the East River provides stunning views of the Triborough and Queensborough Bridges, as well as the lighthouse on Roosevelt Island.
- Catbird Playground: A family favorite, this playground includes baby and big-kid swings, a sandbox, play structures for different age groups, and a sprinkler area for warm days.
- Gracie Mansion Tours: The historic Gracie Mansion, constructed in 1799 and now the official residence of the NYC mayor, offers tours on Mondays.
- Community Events: The park hosts various events throughout the year, including an Easter egg hunt, Halloween festival, and holiday tree lighting, organized by the Carl Schurz Park Conservancy.
- Basketball Courts: Located near the park’s south end, these courts are a popular spot for local games and require reservations for leagues and groups.
- Peter Pan Statue: A notable feature of the park is the bronze sculpture of Peter Pan.
With its many paths, views of the city, and varied backgrounds it’s a spectacular location to take engagement photographs at all times of year.