Capitale is an opulent oasis in the heart of New York City, an architectural marvel that exudes timeless elegance and grandeur. It’s one of the venues that took me aback when I first arrived – who knew something so beautiful existed behind such a simple facade? Hopefully, this Capitale Venue Guide helps illustrate the many, many reasons I love this stunning space!
The history of Capitale
Capitale is a beautiful venue located in the heart of the Bowery in New York City. But before it became one of the most sought-after event spaces in the city, it had a rich and storied history.
Originally constructed in 1895, the building was designed by renowned architect Stanford White as the Bowery Savings Bank. White was a member of the famous architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, which was responsible for many of New York City’s most iconic buildings, including the original Penn Station and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The Bowery Savings Bank was a magnificent building, with a grand façade featuring imposing Corinthian columns, intricate stonework, and a towering clock face. The interior was no less impressive, with soaring ceilings, marble floors, and ornate details throughout. The bank remained a fixture of the neighborhood for over a century, serving as a symbol of the Bowery’s prosperity and influence.
However, by the 1990s, the Bowery had fallen on hard times, and the bank had long since closed its doors. But the building’s beauty and history were not forgotten, and in 2002, it was transformed into Capitale, an elegant event space that pays homage to the building’s past while embracing its new role as a hub of culture and celebration.
Today, Capitale stands as a testament to the resilience and adaptability of New York City, and a shining example of how history and beauty can be preserved and repurposed for new generations to enjoy.
The location and the Bowery neighborhood
Capitale is located in the Bowery neighborhood of Manhattan, specifically on the corner of Grand and Bowery. The Bowery is a historic street that has undergone many changes over the years, from a center of entertainment in the 19th century to a hub of punk rock music in the 1970s and 80s. Today, the Bowery is a mix of trendy shops and restaurants, high-end hotels, and cultural institutions like the New Museum.
How to get to Capitale
Capitale is located at 130 Bowery in the Bowery neighborhood of Manhattan. If you’re traveling by public transportation, the closest subway station is the Grand Street station on the B and D lines. You can also take the J, Z, N, Q, R, or W lines to the Canal Street station and walk a few blocks east to Bowery. If you’re driving, there are several parking garages nearby, including the Icon Parking Garage on Lafayette Street and the Parking Garage on Kenmare Street.
Hotels nearby Capitale and the Bowery
If you’re having your wedding at Capitale, you’ll need somewhere for you and your wedding guests to stay! Here are my favorite hotels that are near to the venue:
- The Standard East Village: A trendy hotel with sleek design and rooftop bar, located just a few blocks away from Capitale.
- The Bowery Hotel: A luxurious hotel with a vintage vibe, featuring plush furnishings and a cozy fireplace in the lobby. Located just a block away from Capitale.
- Sixty LES: A modern hotel with a rooftop bar and pool, located just a few blocks from Capitale in the heart of the Lower East Side.
- The Ludlow Hotel: A chic boutique hotel with stylish rooms and a popular rooftop bar offering stunning views of the city skyline.
- The Nolitan Hotel: A stylish boutique hotel with clean and modern design, located in the heart of Nolita just a short walk from Capitale.
- The Sohotel: A charming hotel with exposed brick walls and vintage accents, located in the heart of the Bowery just a few blocks from Capitale.
- The Public: A trendy hotel with industrial-chic design and a popular rooftop bar, located just a few blocks away from Capitale in the heart of the Bowery.
- The Mercer: A luxurious hotel with elegant design and a celebrity clientele, located in the heart of SoHo just a short distance from Capitale.
- Crosby Street Hotel: A boutique hotel with a quirky, art-filled design and a private screening room, located in the heart of SoHo just a few blocks from Capitale.
- The Greenwich Hotel: A luxurious hotel with a bohemian vibe and beautifully decorated rooms, located in the heart of Tribeca just a short distance from Capitale.
Restaurants near Capitale
While we’re at it, what about your rehearsal dinner? Here are some of my favorite restaurants nearby:
- The Bowery Meat Company: A trendy and upscale steakhouse with a chic and modern ambiance.
- Carbone: A classic Italian-American restaurant with a retro vibe and vintage decor.
- Dirt Candy: A vegetarian restaurant with a creative and flavorful menu that celebrates vegetables in a fun and innovative way.
- Lure Fishbar: A sleek and stylish seafood restaurant with an extensive sushi and raw bar selection.
- The Fat Radish: A farm-to-table restaurant with a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients and a cozy, rustic atmosphere.
- Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria: An Italian restaurant and wine bar with a rustic-chic aesthetic and a focus on locally-sourced ingredients.
- Balaboosta: A Mediterranean-inspired restaurant with a warm and inviting atmosphere and a menu featuring dishes from across the region.
- Charlie Bird: An Italian-American restaurant with a lively and energetic vibe and a menu that highlights simple, flavorful dishes.
- The Stanton Social: A trendy and eclectic restaurant with a globally-inspired menu and a funky, modern decor.
- Blue Ribbon Brasserie: An iconic New York City restaurant with a classic French brasserie menu and a lively, bustling atmosphere.
Getting married at Capitale
As you walk through the grand doors of Capitale, you are transported to a different world, one of glamour, luxury, and elegance. The soaring ceilings and ornate columns of the main ballroom create a sense of grandeur that is hard to replicate in any other wedding venue. The space is flooded with natural light that spills in from the beautiful skylights, casting a warm glow across the room. The chandeliers glitter overhead, adding to the sense of magic and romance.
Capitale is a beautiful space for a wedding, and it’s not just the main ballroom that makes it so special. The entire venue is filled with beautiful architectural details and interesting textures, from the stunning murals on the walls to the intricate patterns on the floor. Every corner of the venue is a photo opportunity, and your wedding photos are sure to be breathtaking.
The main prep suite at Capitale is a beautiful space for you and your wedding party to get ready. The space is filled with natural light, perfect for hair and makeup, and is beautifully appointed with comfortable furniture and luxurious touches. The room is spacious enough to accommodate you, your friends, and any other family members who want to be a part of the pre-wedding preparations.
One of the most beautiful spots in Capitale is the grand staircase. With its ornate details and sweeping curves, the staircase is the perfect spot for a dramatic wedding photo.
The cocktail area at Capitale is another beautiful space. The walls are adorned with beautiful artwork, and the space is filled with natural light, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. This is the perfect spot for your guests to mingle and enjoy cocktails before the reception.
The main ballroom is the centerpiece of Capitale, and it’s not hard to see why. The space is simply stunning, with soaring ceilings, intricate details, and a warm, inviting atmosphere. The space is perfect for both large and small weddings, with room for up to 1,000 guests. The ballroom can be configured in a variety of ways to suit your needs, and the staff at Capitale will work with you to create the perfect layout for your wedding.
The stage area at Capitale is a GORGEOUS spot. With its ornate backdrop and beautiful lighting, the stage is the perfect spot for your first dance as a married couple. The space can also be used for live music or entertainment, creating an unforgettable experience for you and your guests.
One of the most beautiful spots in Capitale is the mezzanine level. From here, you can look out over the main ballroom and take in the stunning architecture and beautiful details of the space. The mezzanine is the perfect spot for a romantic wedding photo, with the stunning backdrop of the ballroom below you.
Another beautiful space at Capitale is the VIP room. This private space is perfect for the wedding party or for the couple to have a moment of quiet before the reception. The room is beautifully appointed with comfortable furniture and luxurious touches, creating a sense of calm and relaxation amid the wedding festivities.
Overall, getting married at Capitale is a truly unforgettable experience. The beauty of the venue is unparalleled, and the staff is dedicated to making your wedding day as special as possible
Photo locations at Capitale
One of the things I am asked most is “where should we take our wedding day photos at Capitale?”
The building itself is stunning, with towering marble columns and intricately frescoed ceilings that exude elegance. Simply BEING in the building itself is a photo location!
Another great photo location at Capitale is the balcony overlooking the main ballroom. This balcony offers a unique perspective of the venue and is ideal for capturing shots of the entire room, including the dance floor, the bar, and the stage.
I love photographing on the stage before the ceremony as well as in the grand ballroom.
I LOVE the golden arch of the entryway at the front doors.
I also love the vintage look of the elevator in the main lobby.
Outside the building, the surrounding streets provide a perfect backdrop for urban-style wedding photos. Capitale is situated in the heart of the Bowery, a neighborhood that is known for its vibrant street art and trendy vibe. The colorful graffiti murals and vintage storefronts in the area are sure to provide an edgy contrast to the grandeur of Capitale’s interior.
Another excellent outdoor photo location is the adjacent Freeman Alley, which is home to some of New York City’s most famous street art. The alley’s walls are covered in murals and graffiti, making it an ideal spot for edgy, urban-style shots. The alley’s narrowness and the occasional puddles on the ground also create interesting reflections that add depth and texture to photos.
Finally, there’s the nearby Sara D. Roosevelt Park, which provides a lovely green space amid the bustling city. The park features a variety of gardens, fountains, and statues, making it a versatile location for wedding photos. With its peaceful, idyllic setting, it provides a striking contrast to the urban hustle and bustle of the surrounding area.
As a wedding photographer, I believe that I am an amazing choice for capturing the magic of a wedding at Capitale. With my eye for detail and artistic approach to capturing each moment, I would perfectly capture the beauty and elegance of Capitale’s stunning architecture and decor.
My experience in capturing the unique essence of each couple and their love story is evident in every photograph, and I have a talent for creating images that are both timeless and emotive. I do not doubt that I would create a collection of images that would perfectly capture the magic of a wedding at Capitale, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
In addition, Capitale is theatrical, dark, moody, and gorgeous – just like my style of photography.