Hotel DuPont Wedding
Since their engagement session last year at Ridley Creek, I’ve been looking forward to Michele and Nate’s Hotel DuPont wedding. From the ceremony in the DuBarry room to the Gold Ballroom reception I cried approximately. 9843 times during the course of this warm, wonderful, heartfelt, and utterly gorgeous day.
About the hotel
Hotel DuPont is a historic hotel located in Wilmington, Delaware. It was built in 1913 by Pierre S. du Pont, one of the wealthiest industrialists in the country at the time, as a tribute to his beloved wife Alice. The hotel was designed by the prominent architectural firm of Carrère and Hastings, who also designed the New York Public Library and the U.S. Senate office building.
Over the years, Hotel DuPont has hosted many famous guests, including presidents, foreign dignitaries, and Hollywood stars. During World War II, the hotel served as a temporary headquarters for the DuPont Company, which played a significant role in the war effort.
In 1981, Hotel DuPont was added to the National Register of Historic Places, recognizing its significance as a landmark of American architecture and history. Today, the hotel continues to be a symbol of luxury and sophistication, attracting guests from all over the world.
Hotel DuPont architecture
The architecture of Hotel DuPontis one of its most striking features and one of the first things I was drawn to when I photographed my first wedding there.
The building was designed in the Italian Renaissance Revival style by renowned architect Thomas Hastings, who also designed the New York Public Library. The exterior is made of brick and limestone, with a grand entrance featuring tall columns and a large carved stone canopy.
The interior is just as impressive, with a marble lobby, soaring ceilings, and ornate details throughout. The hotel’s ballroom is particularly noteworthy, featuring a stunning domed ceiling, crystal chandeliers, and intricate plasterwork.
The hotel has undergone several renovations over the years, but the original architecture and design elements have been carefully preserved and restored.
The hotel rooms at the Hotel DuPont
The wedding day usually begins with getting-ready pictures, and I love that the Hotel DuPont provides such amazing locations to do just that.
The Hotel features luxurious and elegant hotel rooms designed to provide guests with a comfortable and relaxing stay. The rooms are decorated in classic European style, featuring high ceilings, antique furnishings, and luxurious bedding.
The hotel offers a variety of room types, including deluxe rooms, suites, and executive rooms, all with modern amenities such as flat-screen TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi, and room service.
The bathrooms are spacious and well-appointed, with marble finishes, rainfall showers, and plush towels. The hotel rooms also offer stunning views of the surrounding city and the hotel’s beautifully landscaped gardens. And the light? To die for.
There are also great conference rooms, such as the Kent Newcastle room, should you need more space for your wedding party to get ready with you!
Weddings at the Hotel DuPont
Hotel DuPont is a stunning venue for weddings, with both indoor and outdoor spaces that exude elegance and sophistication. There really isn’t anything like it nearby in terms of ornate beauty in a luxury setting….that somehow feels warm and homey at the same time!
Inside, the Gold Ballroom is a breathtaking space for wedding receptions. The ballroom features towering ceilings with intricate gold leaf detailing and sparkling chandeliers that illuminate the space with a warm glow. The room can accommodate up to 500 guests and provides ample space for dining, dancing, and celebrating.
Another stunning indoor space for weddings is the Du Barry Room (as seen here!), which features an ornate fireplace, stunning crystal chandeliers, and elegant wood paneling. The room is perfect for smaller, more intimate wedding receptions or rehearsal dinners.
As a wedding photographer, I find the combination of the venue’s classic architecture and modern amenities to be an ideal setting for capturing beautiful and timeless images. The intricate details and stunning finishes of the indoor spaces provide a gorgeous backdrop for wedding portraits – again, there really is nowhere like this nearby!
What sets a Hotel DuPont wedding apart is its attention to detail and personalized service. The staff is dedicated to making every couple’s wedding day dreams come true, from the first consultation to the last dance. They work closely with couples to customize their wedding packages and ensure that every aspect of the day is flawless.
Photo locations near Hotel DuPont
While Hotel DuPont has stunning indoor locations for photos, many of my clients ask me where we can go nearby for beautiful images with greenery as the backdrop. They also ask where we can go to create some unique pictures during their portrait time on the wedding day.
For that reason, I’ve compiled this list of places to take pictures outside of Hotel DuPont. This way we can get the beautiful ornate interiors as well as visit some gorgeous nearby spots for a great variety of wedding day photos.
- Hagley Museum and Library – This historic Wilmington site features stunning gardens and a picturesque mill that makes for a beautiful backdrop for photos. You generally have to be getting married here to take photos here, but it’s worth an ask!
- Delaware Art Museum – The sculpture garden and rolling hills surrounding the museum make for a scenic and artistic photo shoot location.
- Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library – Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library is a museum located in Winterthur, Delaware, United States. It was once the home of Henry Francis du Pont, a renowned collector of American decorative arts, who turned the estate into a museum that showcases his vast collection of antiques and art. The museum has over 90,000 objects on display, including furniture, ceramics, glass, textiles, paintings, and prints. The garden spans over 1,000 acres and features a wide range of flora and fauna, including azaleas, magnolias, and rhododendrons. Additionally, the library has an extensive collection of rare books and manuscripts on American history and culture. Overall, Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in American decorative arts, horticulture, and history. Again, you generally have to be getting married here to take photos here, but it’s worth an ask!
- Nemours Estate – With its grand French-style mansion and extensive gardens, Nemours is a stunning location for wedding photos. Photos are permitted in the garden.
- Brandywine Creek State Park – The natural beauty of the Brandywine Creek provides a serene and peaceful setting for photo shoots. The State Park is a beautiful and popular state park located in Wilmington, Delaware. The park features over 900 acres of stunning scenery, including lush forests, rolling hills, and the tranquil Brandywine Creek. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, fishing, picnicking, and more in this peaceful and picturesque setting. The park is also home to several historic structures, including the Rocky Run Schoolhouse and the Tulip Tree Lane Bridge, which provide a glimpse into the area’s rich history.
- Mt. Cuba Center – Mt. Cuba Center is a botanical garden located in Hockessin, Delaware, known for its stunning and diverse display of native plant life. The center features over 1,000 acres of rolling hills, meadows, and forests, with walking trails that provide breathtaking views of the natural surroundings. The gardens are meticulously landscaped, featuring a variety of habitats that showcase the region’s diverse plant life, including woodland wildflowers, ferns, and native trees.
- Rockwood Park & Mansion – The picturesque mansion and surrounding gardens at Rockwood Park provide a romantic and elegant setting for wedding photos.
- Longwood Gardens – Longwood Gardens offers endless possibilities for beautiful wedding photos. Buying park admission is a must, and I recommend reaching out to make sure wedding photography is available on your date. The Gardens is beautiful for its stunning horticultural displays, extensive gardens, and preserved historic conservatory. The gardens are spread over 1,077 acres, featuring 20 outdoor gardens, 20 indoor gardens, and fountains that are lit up at night. Visitors can enjoy the Italian Water Garden, Flower Garden Walk, and the Peirce-du Pont House, where the du Pont family lived. Longwood Gardens is also known for its seasonal displays, including the popular holiday light show, and offers various events and concerts throughout the year. Overall, the gardens provide a tranquil and picturesque setting for visitors to explore and appreciate nature’s beauty.
- Bellevue State Park – The sprawling lawns and gardens at Bellevue State Park provide a natural and serene setting for photo sessions.
- Ashland Nature Center – The tranquil and picturesque setting of this nature center provides a peaceful backdrop for photos.
- Delaware Seashore State Park – If you’re looking for a beachy vibe, the Delaware Seashore State Park offers stunning views of the ocean and plenty of sandy beaches for photo sessions.
- Iron Hill Park – The rolling hills and natural landscapes of Iron Hill Park make for a scenic and peaceful setting for outdoor photo shoots.
- Wilmington Riverfront – With its modern buildings and picturesque waterfront, the Wilmington Riverfront offers a unique and urban backdrop for photo sessions.
- Rodney Square – This historic park in the heart of Wilmington boasts beautiful architecture and plenty of green space for outdoor photos.
- White Clay Creek State Park – With its rolling hills and serene creek, White Clay Creek State Park offers plenty of natural beauty for photo sessions.
- Delaware Park – The sprawling lawns and gardens of Delaware Park provide a natural and peaceful setting for photo shoots.
- Talley Day Park – The natural beauty of Talley Day Park provides a peaceful and serene setting for outdoor photo shoots. This is a great place to go if you’re having a Hotel DuPont wedding and want to take photos elsewhere.
Overall, Hotel du Pont is a magnificent venue for weddings that offers both indoor and outdoor spaces of exceptional beauty and charm. As a wedding photographer, I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to capture the memories of couples who choose to celebrate their special day at this timeless and elegant venue.