This Sleepy Hollow Country Club Wedding Guide is to help you learn more about a space that is not just a venue, but a piece of living history, offering a breathtaking backdrop for your wedding day.
Known for its picturesque setting and rich heritage, it promises an unforgettable experience for couples looking for the perfect blend of elegance and charm.
The Historical Elegance of Sleepy Hollow
Sleepy Hollow Country Club, situated in the scenic Hudson Valley, boasts a rich and fascinating history. At the end of the 19th century, Colonel Elliott Fitch Shepard, a notable lawyer and founder of the New York State Bar Association, purchased over 500 acres for the estate.
The architectural firm of McKim, Mead, & White was commissioned to design a 75-room Victorian manor in the style of an Italian Villa, featuring high ceilings, mahogany paneling, and elaborate gardens. Completed in 1893, the property changed hands in 1910 to William Rockefeller and Frank Vanderlip.
In 1911, a group of influential individuals including Rockefeller, Cornelius Vanderbilt, John Jacob Astor, and others formed the Sleepy Hollow Country Club. The club’s initial 9-hole golf course, designed by Charles Blair Macdonald and Seth Raynor, was later expanded to 27 holes by A.W. Tillinghast. Over the years, Sleepy Hollow Country Club has undergone numerous renovations, maintaining its status as a premier golf course and country club in New York and the United States.
Choosing the Perfect Space
Sleepy Hollow offers a variety of event spaces, each with its own unique character. The Grand Ballroom, with its opulent design, is ideal for large, lavish receptions, while the more intimate spaces like the Vanderbilt Room provide a cozy setting for smaller gatherings.
For couples looking for an outdoor setting, the terraces and gardens offer a scenic view of the Hudson, perfect for a sunset ceremony.
As far as indoor pictures go, the interior of Sleepy Hollow Country Club is a showcase of architectural and historical splendor. My favorites include:
- Marble Fireplaces and Wood Paneling: The house features significant interior elements like marble fireplaces, wood paneling, coffered ceilings, and extensive carved wood and plaster detail in the Adamesque mold. The original furnishings included rare tapestries, carved woods, paintings, and Italian marble, all contributing to a rich and luxurious atmosphere.
- Vaulted Vestibule and Main Hall: The main door opens into a square vaulted vestibule with polished yellow marble walls. It leads to the main hall, paneled in white-painted wood, featuring a large fireplace of carved white marble and a large red rug. The hall is accented with Gobelins and Italian tapestries, adding to its grandeur.
- Elegant Rooms and Decoration: The first room from the corridor is the living room with Spanish cedar wainscot, pilasters, and cornice, green silk paneling, and a mantelpiece from an Italian chateau. The drawing room or music room features ivory white and gold paneled walls with gilded moldings and a marble mantle. The dining room boasts a high wainscot of mahogany, tapestry frieze, and a beamed ceiling. The breakfast room is green and white, with a wood mantel of mottled white marble from Italy.
- Library and Bedrooms: The library, lined with tall bookcases containing rare books, has a coffered ceiling and was once adorned with leather panels. The house features variously sized bedrooms, including the Moorish room, furnished in the Moorish style with inlaid mother of pearl.
Each room in Sleepy Hollow Country Club is a testament to historical luxury, combining elegance with rich historical details.
The Ceremony: Settings and Styles
Whether you dream of an outdoor ceremony set against the backdrop of the Hudson Valley or a more traditional indoor setting, Sleepy Hollow caters to every preference.
The outdoor spaces, with their sprawling lawns and panoramic views, are perfect for a nature-inspired wedding, while the indoor spaces exude a classic and sophisticated atmosphere.
Photography Opportunities at Sleepy Hollow
With its historical architecture and natural beauty, Sleepy Hollow offers endless opportunities for breathtaking wedding photography.
One of the things I love most about the Sleepy Hollow Country Club are the views from the golf course, designed by C.B. Macdonald and Seth Raynor, and later expanded by A.W. Tillinghast. Situated on the historic 338-acre Woodlea estate, the course provides glimpses of the Hudson River from its first tee, set in the shadow of the clubhouse. The climb to the second green reveals both the river and the unique walking bridges of the club.
The third hole, played over a deep ravine, and the fifth hole, with its spectacular view from the crest of the rise, are especially noteworthy. The sixteenth hole, one of the most beautiful par 3s in the country, plays back over a gorge to a green surrounded by a trench bunker, offering breathtaking vistas of the Hudson River Valley.
The views from both the golf course and the Club itself are spectacular. And if it rains? We have the stunning interiors to work with, which are a visual treat for a wedding photographer.
Catering and Cuisine
Sleepy Hollow’s culinary team prides itself on offering a diverse array of menu options, from traditional fare to more contemporary cuisine. The club also offers customization to accommodate dietary restrictions and personal preferences, ensuring a dining experience that is as unique as your wedding.
Here is a list of ten hotels near Sleepy Hollow Country Club, each offering its own unique charm:
- Comfort Inn & Suites, Hawthorne, NY: 3.2 miles away, known for its affordability and comfort.
- Hotel Nyack, a JdV by Hyatt Hotel, Nyack, NY: 4.1 miles away, offers a stylish, boutique experience.
- West Gate Inn Nyack, Nyack, NY: 4.2 miles away, combines convenience with simple elegance.
- Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County, Tarrytown, NY: 4.2 miles away, known for its modern amenities and service.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County, Tarrytown, NY: 4.3 miles away, features spacious, well-appointed suites.
- Sleepy Hollow Hotel, Tarrytown, NY: 4.4 miles away, blends historical charm with modern facilities.
- Baymont by Wyndham White Plains Elmsford, Elmsford, NY: 4.4 miles away, offers a cozy and welcoming stay.
- Super 8 by Wyndham Nyack NY, Nyack, NY: 4.4 miles away, known for its value and convenience.
- Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, Tarrytown, NY: 4.5 miles away, provides a luxurious stay with top-notch amenities.
- Westchester Marriott, Tarrytown, NY: 4.7 miles away, a blend of luxury and elegance.
A wedding at Sleepy Hollow Country Club is more than just a celebration; it’s an experience steeped in history, elegance, and natural beauty. With its variety of spaces, dedicated staff, and picturesque setting, it’s the perfect venue for your special day.